I had been designing paper models for others for so many years. Now, I wanted to start working on models strictly for my own pleasure and relaxation; I wanted a hobby to call my own. I didn’t want to design anything; I wanted to be the end user for a change and just enjoy the assembly process.
Last summer, I found and purchased the 1/144 scale Fastway Mars Liner model kit by Glencoe Models. Keen Disneyphiles will immediately recognize the rocket as the TWA Moonliner.
Continuing my interest in plastic model kits, I decided to give in to my inner Star Wars fanboy.
One day, I was flipping through the Disney Store magazine (remember those?), and I came across an image of a Nautilus model that they were selling. It wasn’t a plastic model; it was an expensive, pre-assembled scale replica. I examined the basic shape of the submarine, and I said to myself, “I can build that out of paper.” Better yet, I could share it online for those who, like me, couldn’t afford the real thing.
Over the years, I always retained my childhood love of creating small models, but I hated plastic kits. I moved away from the prefabricated kits with step-by-step instructions, and I decided to go my own route.
It wasn’t intentional. I didn’t even realize that it had happened. But, somewhere along the way, I fell in love with model kits. Not just the common plastic kits that can be found in many stores, but metal kits, and paper kits, too.
The main portion of the lower hull is finally completed, and I can start focusing on additional details like the recessed machinery, the turrets, extra surface details/parts, and painting.
This month, I paint and assemble the long-awaited boarding ramp. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to test the motor until issue 54 (somewhere around there).
The builds have been lacking in things to do. They’ve been pretty straight-forward: attach more metal framework and hull plating. But, extra parts are accumulating quickly for future builds that promise to be much more exciting.
With the final two pieces, I can finish the assembly jig and store the hull frame on it instead of in my closet. That solves one storage problem, but it brings up a new one.